Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Birth of American Citizen

The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest American consular office for the purpose of establishing an official record of the childs's claim to U.S. citizenship at birth.

To apply for a Report of Birth Abroad you must make an appointment and come to the Embassy with your child. We recommend that you apply for a passport and social security number at the same time.

Please see the our checklist for required documents to be presented when registering a child born abroad as a U.S. citizen.

Processing time is approximately one month. We can send everything to you with registered mail or you may pick-up when everything is completed.

More information about acquiring U.S. citizenship.

Adobe Reader

  • adobe reader
    Download Free
    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.