How to Apply
Traveling to the United States
All travelers going to the United States must either have a valid visa, or be eligible to travel to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Norwegian citizens who are planning to use the VWP must register in ESTA before traveling. Only travelers who meet the requirements of the Visa Waiver Program can use ESTA to travel.
Who needs a visa?
Anyone who is not eligible to enter the United States visa free under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), or is not exempt from the visa requirement, or whose registration has been denied under ESTA. This includes travelers who are in transit through the United States to another country. Please note: We recommend that travelers who have been arrested and/or convicted of an offense apply for a visa at the Embassy. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply for U.S. visa law.
How to Apply
All travelers who are planning to study, work, spend more than 90 days in the U.S. or are otherwise unable to use ESTA, are expected follow these steps to apply for a visa:
1. Please see the following link for the Official Website for Visa Information in Norway
2. Fill out the DS-160 application form
3. Make a profile in Atlas to pay the visa fee and book and appointment with the Embassy for your visa interview
4. Remember to bring all required items to your interview (most common reason for delays in processing time is lack of documents).
5. Meet up outside the Embassy. You should expect to spend several hours at the Embassy. Please come prepared.
6. When the interview is over, the processing time for successful applications is one week on average. We recommend not to book non-refundable tickets before you have received your visa.
We look forward to seeing you at the Embassy at the date and time of your interview.
Note, all visitors to the Embassy are required to book an appointment.
In Norway: +47 23 96 05 55 (8am-8pm, five days a week)
In the U.S.: +1 703-520-2568 (7am – 3pm EST, five days a week)