Consular officers act as notaries for U.S. citizens and for non-U.S. citizens with documents to be used in the United States. Notarial services require an appointment at the Embassy.
Please review these facts before your visit for this service;
- The fee is $50 per notarial signature, payment can be made in cash or by credit card. Personal checks are not accepted.
- You will need valid identification such as valid passport or drivers license.
- Your name must be spelled correctly in the document/s and your name must match the identification that you are presenting.
- Please review your document/s and identify all places where the notary needs to sign. Mark these with a paperclip or other.
- If you are signing as an officer of a corporation you must also provide adequate proof of your corporate identity.
- You need to schedule an appointment for this service.
Types of notarial services:
A marriage affidavit can be issued at the Embassy. It is your own sworn statement that you are eligible to be married. You must be present at the Embassy to sign in front of the notary and you need to book an appointment for this service. Bring your valid U.S. passport. The $50.00 fee is payable in cash or by credit card.
An Apostille can be obtained by contacting the Secretary of State in the State where the document was issued. The Embassy can not perform this service. Please contact the Secretary of State in the U.S.
Certified copies for ITIN Tax Application
In connection with an Individual Taxpayer Indentification Number (ITIN) for the IRS, a certified copy of your passport is required. The Embassy may issue a certified copy of your passport in person at the Embassy, please make an appointment. The fee is $50, payable in cash or credit card. Personal checks are not acceptable. You must bring your passport to the Embassy for your appointment.
Authentication of Norwegian Officials
The consular officer may place a seal over, or authenticate, the seal of a foreign authority whose seal is on file with the American Embassy. Your document needs to have been signed by a local Notary Public, (Notariul Publicus), City Judge, (Tingrett), District Judge, (Sorenskriver) or Sheriff, (Lensmann). Documents stamped by the police department may not be authenticated.
Authentification service at the Embassy
Authenticatification can be done by mail or in person at the Embassy. The fee is $50 (NOK 300) per Notarial signature. If paying at the Embassy cash or by credit card is accepted. Personal checks are not accepted.
Authentification service by mail
If you are authenticating your document by mail, please send a bankremisse, (available at any Norwegian bank), for NOK 300 per notarial signature, made payable to the U.S. Embassy. Please send a large, self-addressed envelope with NOK 150 worth of stamps so that we may return your documents by registered mail.
Medallion Signature Gaurantee: The Embassy does not issue Medalion Signature Guarantees. More information.